Middle East crisis live: Trump claims ‘very good chance’ of deal to prevent Iran obtaining nuclear weaponNEWS | 19 May 2026From 3h ago 18.05 EDT Trump says US will be 'probably satisfied' if Iran agrees to no nuclear weapons Donald Trump has said the US would be “probably satisfied” if it could reach an agreement with Iran that prevents Tehran from obtaining a nuclear weapon. He added that he delayed planned strikes on Iran after a “very positive development” in talks, and that there was “a very good chance” they could reach a deal. Asked at a healthcare affordability event at the White House about his Truth Social post earlier, Trump said: double quotation mark I was asked by Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and some others if we could put it off for 2 or 3 days, a short period of time, because they think that they are getting very close to making a deal. And if we can do that where there’s no nuclear weapon going into the hands of Iran, I think and if they’re satisfied, we will be probably satisfied. “It’s a very positive development,” he said. “But we’ll see whether or not it amounts to anything. We’ve had periods of time where we had, we thought, pretty much getting close to making a deal and, it didn’t work out.” The US president added: double quotation mark We’re not going to let Iran have a nuclear weapon. So I was called by these three countries plus others, and they’re dealing directly with our people, and right now Iran. And there seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I’d be very happy. Donald Trump speaks about prescription drug prices at the White House. Photograph: Julia Demaree Nikhinson/AP Share Updated at 18.10 EDT
2m ago 20.56 EDT Before Donald Trump’s announcement he was holding off on attacking Iran, Turkey’s foreign minister said the immediate concern of the negotiations between the US and Iran was keeping the strait of Hormuz open, but that Iran’s nuclear program remained a central issue. Speaking at a joint news conference with his German counterpart in Berlin, Hakan Fidan said much of Iran’s enriched uranium that could potentially be used for a nuclear weapon was buried under collapsed tunnels following attacks in June that the US launched with Israel. The US has said it is closely monitoring any movements around the stockpile. “At present, there isn’t a situation that poses a real threat,” Fidan said on Monday, quoted by the AP. “But for this to continue, the parties must reach and conclude a nuclear negotiation among themselves.” The Turkish minister said he believed Iran was not opposed in principle to complying with nuclear conditions, but added: double quotation mark The question is what will be given in return, in what order, and under what conditions.” With talks at a standstill last week, Iran’s foreign minister said on Friday that a lack of trust was the biggest impediment to negotiations. Share Updated at 20.58 EDT
47m ago 20.11 EDT Iran remained defiant in statements issued on state media after Donald Trump’s announcement he’d paused an attack on Iran, with Tehran warning the US and its allies against making any further “strategic mistakes or miscalculations” in striking Iran. The Islamic republic also contended the Iranian armed forces were “more prepared and stronger than in the past”. Iran’s top joint military command, Khatam al-Anbiya, said Iran’s armed forces were “ready to pull the trigger” if the US began new strikes, Iran’s Tasnim news agency reported. “Any renewed aggression and invasion ... will be responded to quickly, decisively, powerfully and extensively,” the Khatam al-Anbiya commander, Ali Abdollahi, was quoted as saying. Share Updated at 20.15 EDT
1h ago 19.33 EDT Oil prices and stock markets worldwide swung through a shaky Monday with uncertainty about what will happen with the Iran war. The S+P 500 swivelled between gains and losses before finishing with a dip of 0.1% – its second loss since setting an all-time high last week – while the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.3% and the Nasdaq composite fell 0.5% after both indexes also yo-yoed, the AP reports. Stocks moved in the opposite direction of oil prices, with the price for a barrel of Brent crude – the international standard – going from a high of $112 overnight to below $107 in the morning before turning back higher. After settling at $112.10 per barrel, Brent’s price then fell back below $109 after Donald Trump said late in the day that he would hold off attacking Iran on Tuesday at the request of allies in the region, keeping alive hopes of a deal that would reopen the strait of Hormuz. Share Updated at 19.37 EDT
2h ago 18.57 EDT Just to recap on some important news from earlier, if you’re just joining us: The US has announced another 30-day extension of a sanctions waiver allowing purchases of Russian seaborne oil to aid “energy-vulnerable” countries hit by the Iran war, reversing plans not to grant an extension. Treasury secretary Scott Bessent said in a post on X that the Treasury was issuing the 30-day general license after a previous waiver lapsed on Saturday. This would allow temporary access to Russian oil and petroleum products stranded on tankers without violating severe US sanctions on Russian oil majors, he said. Bessent, who last month told the Associated Press that no further extension of the Russian oil sanctions waiver was planned, on Monday said the measure would help reroute existing supply to countries most in need, allowing them to compete with China for previously sanctioned oil. The action marks the second time the Treasury has allowed the sanctions waiver to lapse and subsequently extended it. Share Updated at 20.18 EDT
2h ago 18.44 EDT The Iranian proposal – as described to Reuters by a senior Iranian source – appeared similar in many respects to Iran’s previous offer, which Trump rejected last week as “garbage”. It would focus first on securing an end to the war, reopening the strait of Hormuz – the vital energy supply route Iran has effectively blockaded – and lifting maritime sanctions. Contentious issues around Iran’s nuclear programme and uranium enrichment would be deferred to later rounds of talks, the source said. However, in an apparent softening of Washington’s stance, the senior Iranian source said on Monday that the US had agreed to release a quarter of Iran’s frozen funds – totalling tens of billions of dollars – held in foreign banks. Iran wants all the assets released. The Iranian source also told Reuters that Washington had shown more flexibility in agreeing to let Iran continue some peaceful nuclear activity under supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency. The US has not confirmed that it agreed to anything in the negotiations. View image in fullscreen Vessels in the strait of Hormuz off Musandam, Oman, on Monday. Photograph: Reuters Share
3h ago 18.25 EDT Donald Trump’s social media post saying he had paused a planned attack on Iran at the request of Gulf leaders came after Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that Tehran’s views on ending the war had been “conveyed to the American side through Pakistan” but gave no details. A Pakistani source confirmed that Islamabad had shared the latest peace proposal with Washington. But the source suggested progress had been difficult, Reuters is reporting. The sides “keep changing their goalposts”, the Pakistani source said, adding: “We don’t have much time.” Pakistan has conveyed messages between the US and Iran since hosting the only round of peace talks last month. Share Updated at 18.31 EDT
3h ago 18.05 EDT Trump says US will be 'probably satisfied' if Iran agrees to no nuclear weapons Donald Trump has said the US would be “probably satisfied” if it could reach an agreement with Iran that prevents Tehran from obtaining a nuclear weapon. He added that he delayed planned strikes on Iran after a “very positive development” in talks, and that there was “a very good chance” they could reach a deal. Asked at a healthcare affordability event at the White House about his Truth Social post earlier, Trump said: double quotation mark I was asked by Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and some others if we could put it off for 2 or 3 days, a short period of time, because they think that they are getting very close to making a deal. And if we can do that where there’s no nuclear weapon going into the hands of Iran, I think and if they’re satisfied, we will be probably satisfied. “It’s a very positive development,” he said. “But we’ll see whether or not it amounts to anything. We’ve had periods of time where we had, we thought, pretty much getting close to making a deal and, it didn’t work out.” The US president added: double quotation mark We’re not going to let Iran have a nuclear weapon. So I was called by these three countries plus others, and they’re dealing directly with our people, and right now Iran. And there seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I’d be very happy. View image in fullscreen Donald Trump speaks about prescription drug prices at the White House. Photograph: Julia Demaree Nikhinson/AP Share Updated at 18.10 EDT
4h ago 17.08 EDT US Central Command has said its forces have “redirected” another commercial ship during its blockade of Iran’s ports. Centcom added that it has “redirected” a total of 85 commercial vessels, and “disabled” four. The US blockade began on 13 April. Share
4h ago 16.29 EDT UAE restores power to Barakah nuclear plant after drone strike, IAEA says The International Atomic Energy Agency said on Monday it has been informed by the United Arab Emirates that off-site power was restored to Unit 3 of the Barakah nuclear power plant following the drone strike on Sunday. Sunday’s drone strike caused a fire at an electrical generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah nuclear power plant, with authorities confirming that safety levels were unaffected and no radioactive material was released. Share
5h ago 15.51 EDT Lisa O’Carroll Further to our earlier post, Ireland’s president has urged world leaders not to “normalise war” or “slaughter” as she expresses concern for her sister who was on board a Gaza flotilla intercepted today by Israel. On her first official visit to the UK, Catherine Connolly, went slightly off script at an event in the Irish embassy to express concern about wars currently tearing up the world order. double quotation mark Normalising war is never acceptable, normalising slaughhter is never acceptable. Earlier she met King Charles who “graciously and gratefully” received an invitation for a state visit to Ireland next year. She spoke to guests at the Irish embassy in London of the need to always defend the values of an independent sovereign nation “by defending international law and the structures of the UN”. She said Ireland “will not be silent when international law is treated as optional”. She was asked by reporters about her sister Margaret who was on board the flotilla intercepted by Israeli forces off the coast of Cyprus. “It’s quite upsetting and I’m also very worried about her,” she said. “I’ve been very busy today ... I haven’t really had a chance to get details in relation to my sister and indeed, equally importantly, her colleagues on the boat.” Share
6h ago 15.18 EDT Trump says he is delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders and US ready for ‘large scale assault’ if peace talks fail Donald Trump has said he would “hold off” an attack on Iran scheduled for Tuesday at the request of Gulf leaders. In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said “serious negotiations” are now underway with Iran and that Gulf states believed “a deal will be made”. “This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!” he claimed. But, he added, Washington was ready for a “full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.” Here’s the full post: double quotation mark I have been asked by the Emir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and the President of the United Arab Emirates, Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place, and that, in their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond. This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN! Based on my respect for the above mentioned Leaders, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, The Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and The United States Military, that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached. Share Updated at 15.52 EDT
6h ago 14.55 EDT The organisers of a flotilla of aid vessels bound for Gaza said on Monday that Israeli forces had intercepted 39 of their boats in the eastern Mediterranean, while the remaining ships were continuing to sail toward the enclave. Earlier on Monday, Israel’s foreign ministry had said on X that it “will not allow any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza”. Ships from the Global Sumud Flotilla had set sail for a third time on Thursday from southern Turkey, after earlier attempts to deliver aid to Gaza were intercepted by Israel in international waters. Live video showed military vessels approaching the vessels on Monday. “Military vessels are currently intercepting our fleet and (Israeli) forces are boarding the first of our boats in broad daylight,” the Global Sumud Flotilla initially said on X. “We demand safe passage for our legal, non-violent humanitarian mission.” The group said there were 426 people taking part in the 54-vessel flotilla from 39 countries. It named 44 Turks among those on the intercepted vessels, some 250 nautical miles (463 km) from Gaza. Share
6h ago 14.55 EDT The International Atomic Energy Agency said on Monday it has been informed by the United Arab Emirates that off-site power was restored to Unit 3 of the Barakah nuclear power plant following the drone strike on Sunday. The drone strike caused a fire at an electrical generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah nuclear power plant. Whilst authorities confirmed that safety levels were unaffected and no radioactive material was released, it came at an extremely tense moment in the sixth week of a ceasefire in the Iran war. Share
7h ago 14.24 EDT The US Treasury secretary, Scott Bessent said on Monday that the US will give a 30-day extension for countries to import Russian oil that is already in tankers at sea, a move that is meant to reduce the oil supply shortages caused by the Iran War. The announcement marks a continued policy reversal by an administration that had previously said the sanctions on Russian oil would resume. Originally announced in early March, the temporary waiver on the sanctions was first renewed in April, two days after Bessent said at the White House that he had no plans to extend the sanctions relief. The announcement comes after Bessent said that the waiver on Russian oil sanctions would lapse, a sign of the economic challenges created by the Iran war as shortages are pushing up prices. Share
7h ago 13.58 EDT Earlier on Monday, Donald Trump took to Truth Social to attack the US media over their coverage of his war on Iran. He claimed that even if Iran completely surrendered, the “fake news media” would report that Tehran had won a victory over the US. double quotation mark If Iran surrenders, admits their Navy is gone and resting at the bottom of the sea, and their Air Force is no longer with us, and if their entire Military walks out of Tehran, weapons dropped and hands held high, each shouting ‘I surrender, I surrender’ while wildly waving the representative White Flag, and if their entire remaining Leadership signs all necessary ‘Documents of Surrender,’ and admit their defeat to the great power and force of the magnificent USA, The Failing New York Times, The China Street Journal (WSJ!), Corrupt and now Irrelevant CNN, and all other members of the Fake News Media, will headline that Iran had a Masterful and Brilliant Victory over The United States of America, it wasn’t even close. The Dumacrats and Media have totally lost their way. They have gone absolutely CRAZY!!! Share
7h ago 13.41 EDT Irish president 'very worried' after sister reportedly seized by Israel from Gaza flotilla Rory Carroll Ireland correspondent Ireland’s president Catherine Connolly has expressed concern for her sister, Margaret, who was reportedly seized by Israeli forces from a Gaza flotilla. Organisers of the Global Sumud Flotilla said on Monday that Margaret was on one of dozens of vessels intercepted around 70 miles off Cyprus, and that it had lost contact with those aboard. In a prerecorded video that was released later on Monday Connolly, a medical doctor from Galway, said: double quotation mark If you are watching this video, it means I have been kidnapped from my boat in the flotilla by the Israeli occupying forces, and I’m now being held illegally in an Israeli prison. The Irish president said she was proud of her sister but worried. “It seems like this happened in international waters,” she told TG4, an Irish language station. “It’s quite upsetting, and I’m very worried about her, and I’m also very concerned about her colleagues on board.” The president was speaking in London after meeting King Charles, who accepted an invitation to visit Ireland next year. ShareAuthor: Yohannes Lowe. Adam Fulton. Lucy Campbell. Olivia Lee. Tom Ambrose. Source